Sunday, October 19, 2008

2008 Halloween Countdown 19 Bonus: Werewolf By Five Man Electrical Band

In the mid-1970s, I received an 8 track titled Heavy Hits and one of the songs that quickly became my favorite was Werewolf performed by the Five Man Electrical Band (the other song was Things Get A Little Easier, Once You Understand by Think). The song was orginally released in Canada in March 1974 and was the last single to chart for them. The 8 track cassette and player are long gone but I can enjoy the song once again thanks to YouTube. Not only am I posting the video but also the lyrics.

Werewolf performed by the Five Man Electrical Band

Werewolf
Performed by Five Man Electrical Band (1974)

Momma said “There’s something weird ‘bout Billy
I looked in his room, his bed wasn’t slept in at all last night
But Papa said “Ah, now Momma don’t you go talking silly
He’s just a young boy, he’s just sowing his wild oats and that’s aright”
But momma said “No, something real strange ‘bout my Billy
Farmer down the road said he lost a few of his sheep last night
I know he’s my own flesh and blood but he makes my blood run chilly
‘Cause I saw from my window and he was on the hill just screaming at the moonlight”

Is it any wonder
We hate to see the sun go down
And is it any wonder
We hate to see the full moon coming ‘round

So Papa said “I guess there’s only one thing to do ‘bout Billy
Hand me down my gun son and bring along that silver dinner bell”
But Momma said “Papa I beg you don’t kill him
‘Cause I just couldn’t bear to think about my baby in hell”
He went down to the blacksmith got him out of bed and said
“Get your fire hot
Oh shut up your shutters close down the doors, we’re gonna need all the heat you got
‘Cause I want you to melt my silver bell down to a single shot
I got a job to do and I got to get it done before the sun comes up”

So is it any wonder
That we hate to see the sun go down

Then we heard a shot and I said “Papa got him”
Then we heard a scream and Momma smiled and said “Betcha Billy got him”
But when I lifted up my eyes there was Papa in the doorway staring at the floor
And my big brother Billy never did come home no more

Now is it any wonder
We hate to see the sun go down
And is it any wonder
We to see the full moon coming ‘round

No comments: