Monday, October 09, 2023

Countdown to Halloween 2023 Day 9: The Devil's Machine

I picked up The Devil's Machine (2019) at the local Dollar Tree a few weeks ago in hopes that it would be a scary Halloween treat. The movie's story centers around a three hundred year old curse and a clockwork doll in Scotland. An antique dealer is hired to study the recently found life-size doll and takes his step-daughter along with him. The first half is a slow burn but things turn really weird in the second half. Not only does ghosts show up but strange dog men do too. Also, the story deals with some taboo subjects including incest, bondage and sadism. The ending was interesting but also a little predictable. I did get my money's worth since it was only $1.25 but I have to give The Devil's Machine a solid C since I felt like I was tricked.


Note: The Devil's Machine was originally titled Automata.

No comments: