Saturday, December 05, 2009

Thrift Store Finds: Book And Comics

I found a horror book and eight comics at one thrift store this morning. The book was I Am Frankenstein by C. Dean Andersson (Zebra Books, 1996) that I picked up for fifty cents (yellow tags were half price today).
I Am Frankenstein by C. Dean Andersson

The seven comics that I picked up at the same store for a dollar each include The Computer Masters of Metropolis (a Radio Shack giveaway featuring Superman and Wonder Woman), Flash Gordon #36 (Western/Whitman, 1981), A-Next #2, Iron Man #9, Incredible Hulk #466, Spider-Man, Fire-Star and Iceman (advertising supplement to The Denver Post in 1983), X-Men: Liberators #3 and Disney's Return To Oz (Scholastic, 1985). The Radio Shack giveaway comic has seen better days since the covers are torn at the bottom and are hanging on by one staple. The Flash Gordon and Dallas Post giveaway are in worn condition but the other comics are in fair shape.

The Computer Masters of Metropolis and Flash Gordon #36
A-Next #2 and Iron Man #9
Incredible Hulk #466 with Spider-Man Fire-Star and Iceman
X-Men: Liberators #3 and Return To Oz

At another thrift store, I found a battered copy of Devil Kids #90 featuring Hot Stuff the Little Devil for thirty cents. Not only are the covers worn and stained but three-fourths of the last ad page has been ripped out. Some one must have ordered the Sea-Monkeys. It has been a while since I last read a Harvey comic so I just to pick it up. I used to pick up anything with Hot Stuff and Richie Rich before I hit my teens.
Devil Kids #90 starring Hot Stuff the Little Devil

Today was a great day for this comic fan to hit the thrift stores.

2 comments:

Aion said...

Great buys.. I used to read both of those (Hot Stuff and Richie Rich) when I was in my pre-teens as well (actually into my teens :) I used to read Sad Sack too.. by Harvey Comics... I also ordered the Sea Monkeys lol ... fun stuff!

Unknown said...

Return to Oz, AND Spidey, Firestar, and Iceman! Wow, it WAS a good score.