Sunday, August 24, 2008

Superhero Catalogs

In the 1970s, Heroes World put out their own comic-sized catalog filled with games, books, toys and puzzles that dealt mostly with superheroes from mostly DC Comics and Marvel Comics. There are a few items with Fonzie, Planet of the Apes, Seseme Street, Space: 1999 and Star Trek. I only have three issues and the first two are in pretty bad shape because they were comic book versions of the Sears Wish Book for me. While I wanted to have almost everything in the superhero catalogs, I never actually sent in an order.

One thing that I did find odd is the titles of the issues. The first issue was The Superhero Catalog, the second was The Superhero Book of Goodies and the fourth was The Superhero Catalogue.

Here are the covers:

Superhero Catalog #1
Superhero Catalog #1

Superhero Catalog #2
Superhero Catalog #2

Superhero Catalog #4
Superhero Catalog #4

Checking on eBay, it seems that there is a mess up with the numbering on volume 7. The cover has #4 while the small print on the first page indicates volume 7. After pulling out my magnifying glass so I could read the small print, I found my #4 is actually volume 7, fall 1978. I never knew that all these long years.

Jon's Random Acts of Geekery has several Heroes World Catalog Posts featuring ads from Heroes World Catalog #1, Spring 1979 along with pictures of the real items. Be sure to check them out because they will bring back fond memories.

1 comment:

Tommy! said...

Oh my god! I used to have all three of these when I was a little kid & I used to seriously love these, that's hilarious...yeah, they were great! The weird thing is that they are great reference material now. The artwork was done by Joe Kubert & his art students....very cool!